I realise that the bonus rant I posted last time ended up being about as long as my usual editorials, so I'm not going to count that as a separate entry.
Instead, what I've decided to try and balance out my posts with is Reader's Editions, whereby I pose a question to you, fellow L9ers, and you propel the discussion in the following post.
I took a poll on Twitter last month asking you to tell me about the things you'd like to see less of in anime (partially because they're good for us here at FSS to keep in mind as well ;D), and although I would've liked to see more responses, those of you who did participate nevertheless gave me something to work with, so thank you!
And without further ado, here are the tropes and cliches you're all tired of:
1. Tsunderes. What's a "Top Overused _____" list without these Terrible Tsus, am I right? Always gotta be physically or mentally abusing the MC due to their own insecurities. And are also....flat-chested? Really? I never actually noticed. But anyway, I guess I'd find the trope less annoying myself if Tsundere characteristics were situational/contextual. Even though I personally like Tsunderes, and even though they turn out to be incredibly adorable farther into a relationship, the act is nevertheless easy to see through and thus easy to make fun of.
2. Moe/Loli girls. See, I don't mind the look itself, but I see what people mean about the implications behind the design trope. I don't usually have an issue with character sexualisation, but if they're underage...no. It's okay if the character just looks youthful, but somebody needs to draw the line on this whole fetishising business.
3. Gingers are necessarily characterised as charismatic, enthusiastic, and aggressive. True, Asuna and Asuka do immediately come to mind. But stereotyping based on hair colour has always been a thing. Brunettes are generally considered to be the sensible, sarcastic ones, while blondes are usually typecast as bubbly and ditzy in media. I guess gingers fall somewhere in the middle?
4. Yelling somehow makes attacks stronger. Now, to be fair, there is SOME truth to this. Grunts and quick shouts do help put force into an action (see Maria Sharapova). But standing there and thinking you can kamehameha your way to victory is a fool's errand in real life.
5. Yanderes. I dedicated a whole editorial in their defense, so I'm sticking to my guns with this one.
6. Groping and boobs bopping. Self-explanatory.
7. Childhood friends never win. Lol, I instantly thought of Yugi Muto and Anzu Mazaki when I first read this (sure adds a whole new meaning to Pharaoh Complex, doesn't it...). Though I actually find this one interesting, in light of recent visual novels at least. Routes involving childhood friends these days tend to be considered canon (e.g. Be My Princess, Asagao Academy, and Liar! Uncover The Truth), so maybe there's hope after all.
You can tell I'm trying really hard not to bring up You-Know-Who.
8. Cute girls that are clumsy. Again, much like with Tsunderes these girls can be endearing under the right circumstances. Otherwise, I feel the same way about them as I do "intelligent" damsels in distress. Their constant moments of ineptitude make them look all the more, well, inept.
And that concludes the list! Let me know what your least favourite anime tropes and cliches are in the comments.
After I finish my AMV post (to be released sometime in May), I'll take another poll like this for June, so keep your eyes peeled on Twitter for that!
Until next time,
~ Milica M. "Mimo"